French Onion Mashed Potatoes Recipe
French onion mashed potatoes are a decadent and delicious side dish that is perfect for any occasion. They are made with creamy mashed potatoes, caramelized onions, and Gruyère cheese. The caramelized onions add a sweet and savory flavor to the dish, while the Gruyère cheese provides a rich and nutty flavor.
French Onion Mashed Potatoes Recipe Ingredients
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 8 ounces full-fat sour cream
- 1 (1-ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized and deeply browned, about 1 hour.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Add the sour cream, onion soup mix, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste. Mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Stir in the caramelized onions and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter until melted and combined.
- Serve immediately.
Also Read : How Artificial Intelligence is Harmful for Us
- For extra creamy mashed potatoes, use a potato ricer or food mill to mash the potatoes.
- If you don’t have onion soup mix, you can make your own by combining 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- To make the mashed potatoes ahead of time, assemble them as directed but do not add the caramelized onions. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to serve, reheat the mashed potatoes in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed through. Stir in the caramelized onions and serve.
- For a richer flavor, add 1/4 cup of heavy cream or grated Parmesan cheese to the mashed potatoes.
- For a spicier flavor, add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the caramelized onions.
- For a vegetarian version, omit the bacon and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
French onion mashed potatoes are a delicious and versatile side dish. They can be served with roasted chicken, grilled steak, pork chops, or fish. They are also a great addition to holiday meals.
- Calories: 340
- Fat: 17 grams
- Saturated Fat: 10 grams
- Cholesterol: 50 milligrams
- Sodium: 520 milligrams
- Carbohydrates: 38 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Protein: 10 grams
Why You Should Try French Onion Mashed Potatoes
French onion mashed potatoes are a delicious and decadent side dish that is perfect for any occasion. They are made with creamy mashed potatoes, caramelized onions, and Gruyère cheese. The caramelized onions add a sweet and savory flavor to the dish, while the Gruyère cheese provides a rich and nutty flavor.
French onion mashed potatoes are a must-try for any fan of mashed potatoes. They are easy to make and are sure to please a crowd.
Thank you for reading about French onion mashed potatoes, the ultimate comfort food.